The central bank of Nigeria(CBN) is the apex monetary authority of Nigeria charged with the overall authority and control of the monetary and financial sector policies of the Federal Government.
The objectives of the CBN includes; i) ensuring monetary and price stability (ii) maintaining external reserves to safeguard the international value of the legal tender currency (iii) promotion of sound financial system in Nigeria among others.
However, since the establishment of the Central Bank of Nigeria since 1958,it has had eleven(11) governors that head the leadership of the financial institution.
- R. A Fetoh: He served as Central Bank of Nigeria governor from 1958 till 1963.
- Alhaji mai-borno(1963-1967): Alhaji Mai-borno was a renowned Nigerian economy expert. He was the first indigenous governor of the Central Bank Nigeria, he became governor after after the expiration of R. A Fetoh’s tenure in 1963. He served for four years.
- Dr Clement Nyong Isong(1967-1975): Dr Clement Isong was a Nigerian banker and politician. He was born on 20th April, 1920in Akwa Ibom state. Dr Clement served as CBN governor from 1967-1975 during the military regime of Major General Yakubu Gowon. He was also a one-term governor of Cross River state in the second republic.
- Mallam Adamu Ciroma(1975-1977): Mallam Adamu served as governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria from 1975 to 1977 after Dr Clement Isong left office. Mallam Adamu Ciroma is a Nigerian banker and politician. He hailed fro Yobe state.
- Ola Vincent: Ola Vincent was born in May 1925 in Lagos, Nigeria. He was a banker and also a renowned economist. He became governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria in 1977 and served till 1982. Ola Vincent was succeeded and preceded by Abdulkadir Ahmed and Adamu Ciroma respectively.
- Alhaji Abdulkadir Ahmed(1982-1993): Alhaji Abdulkadir became Central Bank of Nigeria governor in 1982. He succeeded Ola Vincent and spent nine years in office. He was a civil servant and a Nigerian businessman. He died in 1997.
- Dr Paul Agbai Ogwuma: Dr Paul Agbai was a Nigerian banker and economy expert who was also the CBN governor from 1993 to 1999 during the military regime of Major General Sanni Abacha and General Abdulsalam Abubakar.
- Chief Joseph Oladele Sanusi: He was born in September 1938. He haile from Ogbagi-Akoko, Ondo State, Nigeria. He was a Nigerian chartered accountant. He served as governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria from May 1999 to May 2004 during Olusegun Obasanjo’s civilian regime.
- Professor Charles Chukwuma Soludo: Professor Charles Chukwuma(CFR) was a Nigerian Economics professor. He was born in July, 1960. He studied at University of Nigeria, Nsukka. He was the giberneof the Central Bank of Nigeria from May 2004 till May 2009 during Olusegun Obasanjo and Umaru Musa Yar’Adua regime. Professor Charles Chukwuma Soludo was succeeded by Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.
- Sanusi Lamido Sanusi: Was an Economist and banker. He served as the governor of Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN) from 2009 till 2014 before he was suspended by President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. Prior to his suspension as CBN governor, he was appointed as the 14th Emir of Kano same year. In March 2020, he was dethroned by Kano State governor, mallam Abdullahi Ganduje. Sanusi Lamido was born in 1961.
- Godwin Emefiele: Godwin Emefiele was born in August 1961. He is a Nigerian Economist and the current governor of CBN.